Randy’s Chicken Blog Celebrates Two Years



Last year as I celebrated the first birthday of Randy’s Chicken Blog, I announced that the blog had just achieved 10,000 views.  Now, a year later I’m just shy of 30,000 views and am happy to have readers all over the US, as well as a variety of other countries.  Some of you are faithful followers of my Facebook page, but many folks have read a single post on a single topic and found that post through Google.  I love my followers of course—each and every one of you, but I’m also happy to provide information to those people trying to get an answer to one nagging question.

There have been, if you include this one, 132 posts.  All of them are always available in the archives, and they have covered every aspect of a chicken’s life from hatch to death.  Some posts stray off topic a bit to talk about the woods around the coop and the wild plants and animals that live there, or a few good books about chickens that I’ve read, or the treatment of chickens on farms, or well…life, the universe, and everything!

The subjects of the most popular posts cover that same wide range, from stories about specific chickens to information about egg cartons.  Here are thumbnails of the ten most popular posts from the past year with links to the actual posts.  Thanks for reading them and stay tuned for more!


On Halloween Day last year, I posted this article about the mystery of the unusual chickens in South America.  It seemed to me that it would fit with Halloween if I gave it an outer-space theme. Paulette the Cream Legbar modeled as the alien chicken.


I’m proud of my readers for embracing this post even though the subject is an unhappy one. It’s so important for all of us to educate ourselves about the food we eat. In this case, it’s a matter of looking at the labels on the package so you know that the chicken you’re buying was humanely raised!

This one’s actually not about chickens at all!  It concerns garlic mustard, a terribly invasive plant infesting the woods here at the ranch as well as huge swaths of the US and Canada. While garlic mustard is crowding out native woodland plants and destroying ecosystems around the country, it’s also, as its name suggests, both edible and delicious. This post includes a recipe!

The 7th most popular Randy’s Chicken Blog post from the past year was one of the posts from the continuing “egg carton series” where I look at the text and art on a variety of egg cartons and use that information to see what I can find out about the eggs contained therein and the hens who laid them.

This article was actually posted originally way back in December of 2016 and didn’t generate much fanfare at first. But it saw a lot of traffic over the past year and I’m glad folks finally got interested because I think it contains some good info. “Battening Down the Chickens” lists five important things you can do to prepare your flock and your coop for winter.

“What in the world is the deal with Betty?” I wondered. She developed walking problems, stopped laying eggs and ultimately was cast out by the other members of the flock. Then one day Betty started crowing.

At least once a week I post a picture of one of the Hipster Hens in a feature I label with the hashtag “#Meettheflock”. Needless to say, all the chickens gather around and plead “Pick me! Pick me!” prior to that posting. Eventually, of course, everybody does get their turn. Every couple of months I compile all the most recent pictures together into one blog post for a cornucopia of pretty chicken pictures. For some reason the “Meet the Flock Roundup” from last August grew wings and took off. Not only did it receive waaay more views than any other “Meet the Flock Roundup” but it became Randy’s Chicken Blog’s 4th most popular post this past year. Why was it so popular? Naturally, each chicken featured that month nods knowingly and says, “Well, of course! It was me!”

During the summer of 2016 Roxie the Rhode Island Red became infested with potentially fatal flesh-eating maggots, a condition known as flystrike. As though this weren’t enough this poor baby also was afflicted with sour crop. I chronicled my efforts to treat Roxie in an October 2016 post that generated a fair amount of interest from the get-go—perhaps from people Google-searching for ways to treat their hens suffering from one of these conditions. That interest has never really dropped off—this blog post gets viewed practically every day.

About a year ago, I started writing my blog series on egg cartons, the eggs they contain, and the hens that laid those eggs. I thought it would be fair to start out by talking about my own egg cartons. I am not in the commercial egg business, but I do provide eggs to a few friends and family members, and there are Hipster Hen Wonder Egg cartons. All of the posts in this series continue to be read and continue to be popular.

This is yet another entry in the egg carton series. It is not only my most popular post of the past year, it’s also the most popular post I’ve ever put up on my blog. It has had been looked at more times than my next five most popular blog posts combined. When you Google “ALDI Gold Hen Eggs”, my post actually comes up before the ALDI website. Why? I wish I knew. But I’m really happy that people continue to read it and learn about egg cartons, the information printed on them, the eggs they contain, and the hens that laid those eggs!


Randy's Chicken Blog participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to products available on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment